- Realisation of a bending solution for shaping the profiles that are welded into cabins. The particular challenge of this task was that it was based on a profile with high profile flanks and a material thickness of 3 mm, which was to be bent three-dimensionally and whose walls were not allowed to collapse during forming
- Development time until zero series: 8 weeks
- Commissioning and production support: 5 days
- Material and profile optimisation of the primary materials. Process-specific adaptation of the machine technology. Setup of the Z-axis. Documented prototyping phase up to the production-ready zero series. Turnkey set-up of the PBT-"bending centre".
- Significant reduction in set-up costs and times for product changes
- Improvement of product quality
- Achievement of a considerable cost and production advantage over the competition
PBT implements production solution for load-bearing body parts of Hyundai buses
Conventionally pressed parts are associated with high development and production costs. Especially for small batches, cold-bent profile parts with significantly lower development, tooling and process costs are a sensible alternative.
PBT Germany was commissioned by ICMC, a Hyundai Automotive supplier, to develop a cost-effective manufacturing solution for the A-pillars of Hyundai buses. The task required cold forming of the body construction profiles that are welded together to form cabs. The special challenge was that a profile with high profile flanks and 3 mm material thickness was the basis, which was to be formed three-dimensionally and whose walls were not allowed to collapse during the forming process.
PBT Germany Managing Director Peter Sting: "We adapted our machine technology to the specific process, set up the additional Z-axis, developed the cold forming process and optimised it on the process and machine side up to the zero series. This was followed by a documented prototyping phase up to the production-ready zero series. The Korean clients accepted the production plant during the trial run in Siegen. In Korea, the 'bending centre' was set up by us ready for use and handed over to production."
With the new PBT solution, ICMC achieves a considerable reduction in set-up costs and times for product changes, a significant improvement in product quality and realises a considerable cost and production advantage over the competition.
PBT Germany GmbH, formerly INDUMASCH GmbH, today a subsidiary of the Swiss PBT Profilbiegetechnik AG, has a complete range of services and a great deal of experience in the realisation of manufacturing processes for transport technology customers. Many parts of cars, lorries, buses, trains and aeroplanes originate from manufacturing processes realised by the Siegen bending technology specialists. Vehicles from Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Maybach, Jaguar, Mini, Hyundai, aircraft from Airbus as well as buses and rail vehicles from various manufacturers contain components with PBT know-how.
Manufacturing advantage through PBT
Automobilindustrie, Fahrzeughersteller, spez. Personenbusse
ICMC Korea, Automotive-Zulieferer unter anderem für Hyundai, ist spezialisiert auf konstruktive Karosserie-Halbzeuge für die Automobilindustrie, speziell Nutzfahrzeuge